ABOUT THE MUSEUM
The James Museum of Western & Wildlife Art is a new 87,000 SF institution in the heart of downtown St. Petersburg, Florida. The museum houses the significant collection of western and wildlife art acquired by Tom and Mary James over the past 35 years. The facility includes 30,000 SF of gallery space, a 3,200 SF special exhibitions gallery, a 129-seat auditorium, a 6,000 SF special events rental space, a double height lobby with water feature, a store, café, two education classrooms, over 200 covered parking spaces, on-site collection storage, administration offices, and back of house service facilities. Programming includes docent-led tours, gallery talks, artist-led workshops and demonstrations, lectures, films, book discussions, live musical performances, family days, summer camps for children, and more. Visit our website at www.thejamesmuseum.org
The James Museum seeks an experienced Education Manager to develop and oversee a broad range of programs for youth and family audiences. Reporting to, and working closely with the Director of Education, the Education Manager will develop, implement, and evaluate engaging and innovative programs and educational resources based on the museum’s permanent collection and a rotating schedule of special exhibitions.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and implement creative and innovative programs and educational resources for children, such as hands-on art classes, workshops, summer camps, and gallery resources.
- Develop and coordinate inter-generational programs, such as gallery experiences, workshops, and art-making activities; create family-friendly gallery resources, tours and publications.
- Work with the Director of Education and internal teams to plan and execute special events.
- Serve as a museum representative at community programs and outreach events.
- Work with the Director of Education and the curatorial team to create and edit interpretive materials such as catalogues, label text and website content.
- Complete other duties and responsibilities as required.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Experience in creating, managing and leading educational programs in an art museum or similar setting, especially gallery-based activities, art camps and workshops, tours and family-friendly events.
- Knowledge of and experience in implementing best practices in art museum education.
- A confident and engaging communicator who is comfortable speaking to groups of children and adults, and able to write for a variety of ages/levels.
- A team-player with strong interpersonal skills. Must have the desire and ability to collaborate with internal teams and cultivate partnerships with external constituencies.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, with the highest attention to detail and quality.
- Proficient with appropriate office software applications, as well as social media platforms. Experience with developing and using educational technology in programs is a plus.
- Able to work a varied schedule, including regular weekends and evenings.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- B.A. in art museum education, art education, or fine arts. M.A. preferred
- 3-5 years of experience planning and teaching art programs within an arts, education, or cultural institution. Art museum experience strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated capacity to work collegially.
- Entrepreneurial spirit that thrives in a changing, fast-paced, high performing world-class organization.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication and outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to stand and move around public areas of the museum for extended periods of time (reasonable accommodations will be made for qualified candidates with disabilities).
SALARY & BENEFITS
Benefits include paid time off, health insurance and 401k plan
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com
P.O. Box 550746 • Atlanta, GA 30355-3246Office: 404 • 378 • 3153Fax: 404 • 814 • 2031EMAIL Southeastern Museums Conference
Southeastern Museums Conference is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. Copyright © 2017. All Rights Reserved Site by Parsons Marketing Concepts