The Asheville Art Museum, established in 1948 by artists, engages, enlightens, and inspires individuals and enriches community through dynamic experiences developed for all ages that interpret its Collection and exhibitions of American art of the 20th and 21st centuries. Anchoring the center of lively downtown Asheville in the Blue Ridge Mountains, the Museum serves residents of the Southeast and Western North Carolina region, as well as visitors from around the country and the world.
The Membership & Museum Events Manager is responsible for managing the Museum’s membership program including Member groups, Museum events, and Annual Fund campaigns and is an integral part of the External Affairs Department. This position requires excellent organization, communication, and leadership skills. This position works closely with volunteers and committees. This position reports to the Director of External Affairs.
Primary Responsibilities & Essential Functions (including but not limited to):
· Manage the membership database, materials, and brochures.
· Correspond with Members including welcome calls, thank-you and tax receipt letters, and answering questions.
· Manage Member retention, stewardship, and lead recruitment efforts, relationship-building, and Member-event planning, coordination, and implementation.
· Develop new and ongoing Member programs and coordinate with Communications and Visitor Services staff to communicate information and changes.
· Manage Member files, process membership payments, and issue membership cards and benefit information.
· Manage Member groups including planning, coordinating, and implementing Member programs and events.
· Develop and maintain corporate membership program including the recruitment of new Corporate Members.
· Plan, coordinate, and execute three to four annual fundraising events.
· Manage event committees and volunteers.
· Manage event vendors, donations, and auction and raffle items including requests, event coordination, donor records, and acknowledgement.
· Identify and solicit corporate and individual sponsorship opportunities.
· Manage and produce Museum events including exhibition opening receptions, volunteer appreciation events, and other Museum events.
· Maintain records and inventory of all items donated for fundraising.
· Compose draft letter and materials for the Museum’s biannual Annual Fund appeals, and work with other External Affairs staff to finalize appeal requests.
· Coordinate Membership & Development Task Force committee which provides support for membership program and Annual Fund.
· Plan and maintain budget for membership program, Museum events, and Annual Fund drives, tracking income and expenses.
· Co-manage departmental interns.
· Work collaboratively with Museum leadership and departmental managers to deliver excellent service to Museum staff, volunteers, Members, and visitors. Collaborate with Museum staff and volunteers on initiatives, projects, and goals.
· Interact with the arts community and civic bodies as an advocate for the arts and the Museum.
Compensation & Requirements
This year round, full-time position with full benefits requires a flexible schedule to accommodate programs, events, and after-hours work including weekend and evening hours. Annual compensation includes a salary range between $38,000 and $41,000 depending on experience, plus paid time off, health insurance, and retirement benefits after required probationary period. The incumbent should have a valid driver’s license and be able to stand, walk, lift items up to 25 pounds, handle tools or controls, use close vision, and travel periodically for meetings or Museum business.
The ideal candidate will have an undergraduate degree in arts management, museum studies, nonprofit management, or related field plus 3+ years’ work experience in membership, development, and/or fundraising. Candidates must have excellent organization, writing, and communication skills; ability to maintain confidentiality and the highest standards of professional ethics and integrity; excellent computer and database management skills; ability to work independently, collaboratively, and efficiently; ability to multitask, prioritize, and find creative solutions in a fast-paced office environment; and ability to manage an annual budget.
To apply send resume, cover letter, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Membership & Museum Events Manager” in the subject line. This position is available immediately.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Asheville Art Museum provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Diversity, Equity, Access, and Inclusion
The Asheville Art Museum’s vision is to transform lives through art, and we welcome all visitors without discrimination. The Museum acknowledges that it is situated upon the ancient, southern Appalachian ancestral homeland of the Cherokee Tribe and that this region is still the home of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians today. The Asheville Art Museum is committed to being an active leader against racism. We uphold anti-oppressive and equitable practices, while striving to create opportunities for education and action to build a stronger community. The Asheville Art Museum is dedicated to advancing diversity, equity, access, and inclusion—now and in the future. The Museum is moving with awareness and commitment, through assessment, training and engagement, to implementation and accountability.
P.O. Box 550746 • Atlanta, GA 30355-3246Office: 404 • 378 • 3153Fax: 404 • 814 • 2031EMAIL Southeastern Museums Conference
Southeastern Museums Conference is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. Copyright © 2017. All Rights Reserved Site by Parsons Marketing Concepts