The Capital Jewish Museum is a new Jewish history and culture museum now under construction in downtown Washington, DC. We plan to open our doors to the public in Fall 2022. The mission of the Capital Jewish Museum is to inspire audiences to Connect, Reflect and Act — connect across families and diverse cultures, reflect on the relevance of history to today, and act on behalf of their communities and values. This is an incredibly exciting time for our team, as we construct the new facility, finalize plans for our core exhibitions, grow our temporary exhibition program, develop and test programming for key audiences, and establish plans for the new museum’s operations. The new museum is located at 3rd andF St. NW, just a block from the National Building Museum, and will incorporate our 1876 historic synagogue as its centerpiece “object.” The facility will feature new exhibition galleries and programming spaces, including a Community Action Lab.
The Capital Jewish Museum seeks a Communications Specialist to join our team as we plan and launch a new museum for the nation’s capital. The Communications Specialist will be part of a team that deeply appreciates the role of museums in building community, exploring identity and inspiring civil discourse and civic engagement. This role is responsible for executing the communication, marketing and press initiatives for the Capital Jewish Museum and for ensuring that CJM's brand is presented consistently and effectively. The Communications Specialist will report to the CJM’s Chief Operating Officer and work closely with the entire CJM team.
1. COMMUNICATIONS/MARKETING STRATEGY
o Coordinate all communications activities, including growth and maintenance of contact database, press relations, marketing and advertising, audience research and development, and promotion of events and programs.
o Define and maintain CJM’s voice and brand.
o Create and manage strategic marketing plan for CJM’s opening and beyond.
o Develop editorial calendar and marketing/events plan leading to museum opening in Fall 2022.
o Establish and launch inaugural museum membership program in coordination with Development Team in advance of opening.
2. SOCIAL MEDIA/WEB
o Grow, update and maintain social media platforms with focus on audience-building and creative storytelling.
o Update and maintain CJM website and online event calendars and work with outside contractors to augment content/design.
3. PRESS and COMMUNITY RELATIONS
o Work to gain local, regional and national media coverage as we prepare to open in Fall 2022.
o Serve as point-of-contact for press; including writing releases, coordinating press events, pitching stories, and responding to press inquiries, requests for interviews, and filming.
o Serve as museum spokesperson or identify appropriate staff member to be museum spokesperson.
o Work with tourism and hospitality partners and community organizations to promote CJM as a cultural destination.
4. COLLATERAL AND BRAND IDENTITY
o Evaluate and evolve brand identity; enforce brand guidelines, ensuring consistency in all CJM marketing and communications.
o Work with all departments to develop collateral and marketing materials for programs, exhibits, membership, fundraising, etc.
o Facilitate the creation, design and distribution of print and digital communications including the annual report, newsletter, blog, event invitations, promotional films and brochures.
o Work with outside consultants including graphic designers, PR consultants, AV
5. SPECIAL EVENTS
o Support creative programming and promotion for special events, including press outreach.
o Manage media buys and negotiations for media sponsorships for events and programs.
Skills and Abilities
● Strong writing skills and creative design aesthetic.
● Thrives in a fast-paced, start-up organization, and is able to effectively outline individual and team priorities in a demanding environment.
● Knowledge of marketing, communications and public relations best practices.
● Knowledge of Photoshop, InDesign.
● Experience with social media in either a personal or professional capacity.
● Experience with editing and copy-writing.
● Experience working with or knowledge of 3rd Party social management tools (Later, Sprout Social, Hootsuite), paid advertising, social analysis tools, contest platforms, running paid ad campaigns, boosted posts.
● Project Management and the ability to develop multi-year plans and budgets.
● Strong desire to work in a small-team environment and support the organization with a positive and can-do attitude.
● Ability to innovate and solve complex problems in an evolving and ambiguous environment.
● Exhibits empathy and respect to all individuals by empowering staff and volunteers to openly embrace inclusion, diversity, equity and accessibility.
● Bachelor’s degree.
● 3-5 years of marketing, communications or managing social media.
● Experience in a museum or nonprofit organization preferred.
● Writing samples and sample social media campaign examples required as part of the application.
Salary & Benefits
The total package for this position, including salary and benefits, is $45,000-$55,000.
Applicants should send a cover letter, resume and a writing sample and sample social media posts/campaign as a single pdf to email@example.com by April 23, 2021.
We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. CJM encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability, and veteran status.
P.O. Box 550746 • Atlanta, GA 30355-3246Office: 404 • 378 • 3153Fax: 404 • 814 • 2031EMAIL Southeastern Museums Conference
Southeastern Museums Conference is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. Copyright © 2017. All Rights Reserved Site by Parsons Marketing Concepts