Job Title: Vice President of Development
Reports To: CEO
The South Carolina Historical Society (SCHS), headquartered in Charleston, SC, seeks a
motivated individual with exceptional fundraising skills to serve as Vice President of
Development. The VP of Development will plan and implement all Society fundraising including
the major gifts program, annual fund, planned giving, special events, and capital campaigns. As
this is a state-wide position, the VP of Development may live anywhere within South Carolina
but must have the ability to communicate daily with the Executive Director and be present
frequently at functions in Charleston.
Duties & Responsibilities:
● Supervise the Membership Coordinator.
● Increase donor giving, grant funding and membership.
● Meet prospective donors frequently to establish effective communication.
● Grow a major gifts program including identification, cultivation, and solicitation of major
● Oversee grant seeking including research, proposal writing and reporting requirements.
● Build a planned giving program with focus on deferred gifts such as bequest
● Direct the annual fund program including mailings and annual fundraising drives.
● Direct the membership program including mailings and other communications.
● Direct capital campaigns and other major fundraising drives.
● Manage fundraising events and obtain sponsorships for events.
● Oversee the Board Development and Membership Committees.
● Oversee fundraising and membership database and tracking by Membership
● Maintain gift recognition programs.
● Write and carry out a yearly development plan.
● Significantly increase the number of major donors including corporations.
● Significantly increase memberships from across the state and the country.
● Assist CEO and Assistant Director with operations and policy development.
Qualifications & Skills:
● Candidate must hold a bachelor’s degree;
● At least five years experience in professional fundraising, with a focus on major donors;
● Awareness and appreciation of educational advantages of historical literacy for all ages;
● Interest in and knowledge of American history with specific insight into the importance
of SC history;
● Experience overseeing staff and volunteers;
● Ability to travel throughout the state roughly 40% of time to meet prospects and
● Ability and willingness to occasionally work outside to help staff events and programs
produced by SCHS;
● Talent to inspire and motivate others;
● Aptitude to build relationships through good interpersonal and communications skills;
● Demonstrable organizational skills and ability to follow through on tasks and goals;
● A positive attitude, common sense, and good listening ability;
● Experience utilizing CharityProud, Microsoft Office, Outlook, and other software used by
About the SCHS:
The South Carolina Historical Society (SCHS) is a nonprofit 501(c)3. It houses the state’s largest
private repository of historic documents, produces two quarterly publications, and sponsors a
variety of outreach programs for members, educators, students and the public. In 2018, the
SCHS opened a museum in the historic Fireproof Building in Charleston. The organization’s
mission is to expand, preserve, and make accessible it's invaluable collection, and to encourage
interest and pride in the history of the State of South Carolina. Membership in the Society is
open to anyone who is interested in the state’s past and supports the mission of the SCHS.
To submit an application for this position, log onto www.ourfundraisingsearch.com and submit
your resume and cover letter. No phone calls or visits, please. If you have application questions,
please email them to email@example.com
**The person filling this position can live anywhere in South Carolina
P.O. Box 550746 • Atlanta, GA 30355-3246Office: 404 • 378 • 3153Fax: 404 • 814 • 2031EMAIL Southeastern Museums Conference
Southeastern Museums Conference is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. Copyright © 2017. All Rights Reserved Site by Parsons Marketing Concepts